Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Campfire Cookies

I made these a few weeks back and they were delicious!
I found them on pinterest and I am so glad I gave them a try. 
the link to the original recipe and an awesome blog  with way to many great treats is here: fahrenheit350.blogspot.com

Ingredients:
 1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup chocolate chips, or one giant Hershey's bar, chopped
1 cup mini marshmallows
1 box gram crackers

 Bake Time:
11 minutes on 350 degrees
Yields:
4 dozen


They have one of my favorite things in them Marshmallows!
I am a huge marshmallow fan, I know its because my grandma has a marshmallow drawer (yes I said drawer) at her house where we could grab a handful or just a few every time we stopped by. 

History of the Marshmallow drawer:
Before I get to this recipe I feel as though it would be appropriate to explain the Marshmallow drawer. :) 
My Grandma has a drawer at her home that is designated for marshmallows!
It had Big ones, little ones, holiday ones... and stale ones (which are my favorite) 
She started this when she went camping with my Uncle Butch and some of his friends. Of course, as soon as the marshmallows came out for roasting the kids went crazy like wolves for them because they were not your normal treat! My grandma thought that was absurd to act that starved for marshmallows, a treat that is so cheap she decided that she would always have a bag at home for a snack. 
This was the end of 'crazy wolf' reactions from the kids because they were not as rare a snack. 
It is actually the first thing most of us gravitate towards after our hugs and kisses at the door we make it to the marshmallow drawer!

So needless to say, these were a Hit at my house, and I hope you enjoy them as much as we did. 

Campfire Cookies: 
 I found this recipe at: fahrenheit350.blogspot.com
photo from: http://fahrenheit350.blogspot.com/2009/08/rain-or-shine.html

 Recipe:
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
Cream together butter and sugar until incorporated

Add:
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
Beat thoroughly

Add:
2 cups flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup chocolate chips, or one giant Hershey's bar, chopped
1 cup mini marshmallows
*be careful when you stir in the marshmallows because they get gooey and will break into little pieces if stirred roughly, add them last and fold them into the dough carefully for best results. (i made the mistake of stirring it too much) Stir till incorporated.

Baking them:
The fun part about these cookies is that you actually bake the cookie on top of a whole graham cracker.

Place your gram crackers on a cookie sheet and then place a dollop of the cookie dough on top!
bake at 350 for 11 minutes. 
*any longer and the gram cracker will burn! take these off the cookie sheet immediately and place onto a wire rack to cool.
Photo from: http://fahrenheit350.blogspot.com/2009/08/rain-or-shine.html

unfortunately I did not have gram-crackers
so I made them without that bottom cookie and it was just as good!
Mine turned out like this:
These were really good... gooey, and savory! 
I hope you enjoy these! 
This is a fun summer snack at a barbecue!
 Enjoy!
blessings,
Janelle

No comments:

Post a Comment